Saturday 2 May 2009

Theatre Review Othello












We went to see Lenny Henry play Othello at The Rose Theatre in Kingston. We got tickets for the last night. It was an interesting experience. I think one feature of great story telling is when you can completely forget yourself. To reach that state for me is pretty rare but I managed it for two scenes of this performance. Which for me that is pretty good going.

So he managed to help me forget red nose day, a pathetic recent sitcom, a fairly recent performance Live at the Apollo even forget briefly Hughie Greene's Opportunity Knocks. And made me believe in the crucial scenes of Act 3 Scene 3 and 4 that I was watching a man totally obsessed with jealousy and hate.

And this despite Lenny Henry stomping around the stage as if he was a builder and delivering some of the lines as if his head was stuck in a bucket of water.

The people surrounding him on that square of light were a mixed bag.

But I was pleased to be there on a late spring evening - a mildness in the air and Kingston enjoying a quiet renaissance.

No comments:

Post a Comment