Friday 15 May 2009

Angelo's

I left college just after one and decided to have lunch in Richmond Park. I thought about picking up a packaged sandwich at the seven eleven shop just down the road from the college. Or a sandwich from the nearby garage.

Then I remembered Angelo's. I used to go there for lunch years ago. It is part restaurant and part sandwich bar.

I think it was Angelo who served me. He must have been in his seventies. And we chatted. He spoke with a strong Italian accent. He apologised for taking time with my order. He said they never make sandwiches up before hand. Said their philosophy was slow food. Said it was an honour to make me a sandwich. Said I should eat my lunch very slowly. I assured him I would.

Then he wrapped up the sandwich in tin foil and put it in a bag. He said come back again and I said I would.

As I walked to the door a work experience assistant got to the door before me and opened it to let me out.

And the day that seemed so overcast and chilly suddenly came alive to me. And the shop with bottles of olive oils and chibatta bread, sun dried tomatoes and artichokes soaked in spiced olive oil blossomed with love.

2 comments: